BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Personal Reaction 1

I have read about two thirds of the book, and I thought it was a good time to give a personal response to the plot, characters, and writing of “All the Pretty Horses.”

John Grady Cole and Rawlins have left Texas and journeyed into Mexico. Along the way they meet a younger boy named Blevins, who joins them. They get into some trouble along the way when Blevins loses his horse and gun, and then tries to steal it back from the person who found them. The men they steal from begin to chase them, and Blevins has to split up from Grady and Rawlins. Without serious attachments to Blevins, Grady and Rawlins keep going, hoping to avoid trouble. They find a hacienda where they work with horses for a decent pay. While working at this ranch, Grady falls in love with his boss’s daughter. Although the boss likes Grady for his knowledge of horses, Rawlins thinks that Grady is going to get them kicked out for his affair with the boss’s daughter. Shortly after, Grady and Rawlins get kidnapped and taken back to the place where Blevins stole the horse. They are reunited with the boy and kept in captivity. They are unsure of what is going to happen and why they are being pulled into this mess with Blevins.

So far, most of the novel has been developing the setting and characters. Although it seems like I am about to get into some action, I have yet to see much. I found it annoying how much was skipped in this story. For example, there was not much said about the love affair between Grady and the Mexican woman. There has been more emphasis on description than on the events. Dialogue has been short and to the point, but it makes me think more since I am given less.

John Grady seems to be kind and innocent, unsure of who he is or what he is supposed to be. With family problems at home and no plan for his future, Grady is stuck with what he has in the present. He seems hopeful for a sixteen year old on his own. Rawlins is very different; he is unexpected, sarcastic, and more realistic. He never liked Blevins and always said he would bring them trouble. He is harsh and tries to see the truth in every situation. I like these traits in him, because they are so contrasting to the simple plot and characters developed so far. Blevins is mysterious. His age is unknown, but he is most likely thirteen or so. Why he is on his own at this age is unknown. He can shoot perfectly, and he has one of the best horses around. His courage is unbelievable for a young boy. I hope to find out more about where he came from, and why he is who he is.

I have gotten used to McCarthy’s writing at this point. I find it peaceful and inviting. I get lost in his never-ending sentences, but in a good way. I am able to put myself right with the characters, and I don’t even need quotation marks to know who is talking. I find myself relating to the plot and characters despite the major differences between my life and theirs. If you think about it, we are all on our own with endless choices to make our lives out of. Even though his situation is drastically different than mine, I feel like John Grady Cole and I can relate in that we are both struggling to define our lives.

At this point in the book, I have so many questions. It was hard to put the book down to write this personal response. Everything is getting exciting now, and after all this description, I am ready for some action. What is going to happen to Blevins? Will John Grady Cole try to save his life even if it means risking his own? Will Grady ever see his Mexican lover again? Will Grady’s family ever come looking for him? Or have they already? There are so many questions, and I can’t wait to find the answers. I will do another personal response once I have finished the book, hopefully with answers to all of these questions.

0 comments: